Thursday, August 17, 2006

Old Kitchen Bits


What started off as a junk piece that was just supposed to be using up some of the garbage I had lying around the space room has turned into something considerably more functional. The body was an old baking pan that Jesse, the owner of Mitzi's Café, gave me a few years back, and up until I decided to build this instrument it stayed screwed to my ceiling, collecting dust. The faceplate was from a Fembot who goes by the name of Brian - if you believe that. He recovered it from a restaurant he was rebuilding, and the metal sheet it's mounted on I reclaimed from a back splash in a residential kitchen, hence the name Old Kitchen Parts.

It is a fretless three stringed instrument in my usual acoustic ways. I really didn't think the body would be strong enough to hold it together, but for some reason I was wrong, and that makes me happy. I think the key to this instrument's successful sound is the post I mounted under the bridge. I always forget about using that on larger scaled instruments.

I am starting to realize that all my acoustic instruments from now on are going to need one or two of their own.





No comments: