Sunday, October 01, 2006

Maple Syrup Ukulele

After Old Bluey the Metal Ukulele was done I had a very sad feeling about the poor fret work, so after a day of washing dishes up at a local café I stumbled across a maple syrup can, and thought to myself hey, this is a chance to fix all the wrongs in your life. That’s right folks; an empty can of good old Canadian maple syrup is all one needs to take those blues away.

I quickly ran home and started working. Having the construction of Old Bluey still fresh in my mind helped out immensely, so needless to say putting together the Maple Syrup Ukulele was a walk in the park. I took extra care not to make the same mistakes I did on filing out my grooves for the frets, once that was done all I had to do was string it up and see how it sounded. Everything went off without a hitch. I had even felt ambitious enough to start work on my third tin canned instrument, but that’s a story for another day.

Two nights after the instrument was done, I had it up at a studio recording some tracks with it. The sound was great, and it was fun to watch people play it. I think I may have to start adding maple syrup cans to the ever expanding list of junk I love.

No comments: